Wednesday, March 28, 2012

I seriously can't think of a title for this.

I wasn't among the first to join Facebook, it took me until the end of last year to join Twitter, and now I'm here, catching up to the times and keeping a blog. Out of all forms of social media, blogging is probably the best suited to me. I love writing, but I never do it because writing assignments make me anxious, and it doesn’t occur to me to write for the hell of it. But I do talk. A lot. And every once in a while I say or hear something that I think is worth preserving forever. So now I write. 

Even as I’m writing this, I keep thinking of it like an assignment, referring back to an audience I think I have to please. And then that keeps me from wanting to even write anything at all, because I don’t know what any of you want. Like right now, part of me thinks that this is going to be boring as shit and you’re going to read the first few lines, call it a noble effort, and then go read some memes that are actually funny. The weird thing is that I haven’t even defined who “you” are. I have no idea who is going to read this (besides, of course, my parents).  So why even bother with a blog? Why not just write down those thoughts I want to preserve in a personal journal, and do away with an audience and therefore eliminate any standards that make me anxious?

I guess this is my way of putting myself out there. Of releasing whatever it is my mind concocts for anyone to agree with, disagree with, ignore, ridicule, or publish into a book that garners a cult following which desires something more than sparkly, parasitic love. You know, hypothetically speaking. Essentially, I’m stretching out feelers for a community. I don’t claim to speak for my generation, but we share the same time period, the same global events, the same cosmic frontier, the same polluted air, the same doomsday deadline in December this year, the same knowledge that the world keeps spinning, whether we know our place in it or not. I could very well be singularly insane, but even then I think there is something to gain from those—especially from those-- we think we can’t relate to.

1 comment:

  1. My standing ovation to my wonderful niece! I am so proud of you and quite impressed! Keep blogging hny as I look forward to reading your inputs! Love you lots!

    ReplyDelete