Thursday, April 12, 2012

Redefining Feminism

I am a Woman, and I am proud.

Empower me, love me, be in awe of me.

I am powerful enough to serve as a conduit for life

And gentle enough to let that life bloom.

I know the dark side of oppression. I understand.

My spirit is my beauty

And that is the only definition of beauty I wish to live by.

I am emotional. Inexplicably, all-consumingly, passionately emotional.

And that’s how I see sense, how I make logic.

I am a Woman and there is wonder everywhere inside of me.


The amazing thing is, if I replace the word “Woman” with “Human,” everything in the poem still holds true. Women are humans, and this is an expression of humanity.

I sing the praises of women because I am one and I take pride in my identity. You, a man, are welcome-nay, encouraged-to do the same thing. Perhaps the reason my voice of empowerment sounds louder is because yours has continuously been heard throughout the epochs of history. “The history of mankind” establishes the power of humans, but for the most part those humans are men.

But today’s day and age is not simply about being a part of “mankind.” Sure, people gravitate towards their role in society-women as nurturers, men as workers. But those boundaries are so fluid now, and I think that is a beautiful thing. Feminism, for me, is not about lifting up women by stomping on men. It’s about the right to cross those boundaries. It’s about our dignity as humans. Feminism is then, not simply a women’s movement, but a movement of humanity. You are human. I am human. I will empower you if you empower me. Revealing my light does not diminish the light within you. It just helps make the world brighter. 

1 comment:

  1. simply Beautiful! Most powerful words yet! You should send it some magazines I am positive it will get published.

    ReplyDelete